Thinking of going for the chop? A new look could be just what you need to make a super start to the new year. And let’s be real, a new haircut is so much more fun than most new year resolutions. A short style can also help you cut down styling time and, of course, it will look ‘oh so chic’!.
Before you take the plunge, here’s a quick guide to the dreamy short styles that are hot for 2019, with expert tips from our founders Paul Percival and Adam Reed on the haircare products that will help to keep those short locks looking tip top.
Pixie cuts & crops
Is the eternally cool pixie cut the look you’ll go for this year? It’s a scorching hot look for 2019. As co-founder, Paul Percival says, “People often worry about going shorter, but pixie cuts can be really flattering, they frame the face, enhance bone structure and draw attention to your best features.” The pixie is an on-trend look that’s already been spotted on Cara Delevingne, Kate Hudson, Zoe Kravitz, Gemma Arterton and more. Adam’s go-to product for styling a pixie is Quite Frankly Flawless Finishing Polish. He says, “Flawless is a big word, but this little beauty delivers and gives great hold on short styles.”
● The pixie is a good short hairstyle for fine hair, you can create volume easily by lifting your hair at the roots when you blow dry. Give your pixie crop a modern twist and major va-va voom by styling the front section away from your face, as seen on Emma Willis.
● The ‘grown-out’ pixie is also a great look that’s been spotted on ‘Game of Thrones’ Emilia Clarke. It has long, choppy layers on the top and is shorter on the sides. This short, layered hairstyle works wonders for thick hair.
● Be brave and add edge with a fringe. The classic pixie that was made so iconic by the ‘gamine’ Audrey Hepburn works so well with a fringe.
Bobs are still big news
So many celebs went for a bob last year, and this style will remain on trend now and probably, well, forever. This enduring look works for most face shapes, and there are just so many ways to wear it and look uber-glam. To keep shorter styles looking good, Paul recommends prepping the hair before styling to create a strong foundation, he says “Perfectly Perfecting Wonder Balm is a great product to use on wet hair before styling. In between washes don’t forget dry shampoo, which is essential for shorter styles as you don't need to wash hair so often.”
A short bob, a chin-length style, with a blunt cut along the jawline, is a great way to wear the bob this year. It’s easy to wear, and it works with and without a fringe, worn with a side or centre part and curly or straight. Long live the bob.
● Try wearing your chin length bob with a side parting, you can also tuck one side behind your ear, à la Margot Robbie
● Tousled waves as seen on Helen Mirren
Switch it up
Short hair really does have lots of different styling options just like long hair. You can experiment with your crop in every which way possible in 2019. Have a play with colour, texture and partings or amp it up with accessories. Try a short blonde bob reminiscent of Gwyneth Paltrow in ‘Sliding Doors’, short messy hair or a short updo. Anything goes. Whatever you choose, aim to take care of your short style. As Adam says, “It’s important that a short crop is in great condition. If it looks shiny, glossy and healthy, then it always looks better.” Try Perfectly Perfecting Wonder Treatment Oil+: this nourishing hair product contains a trio of seed oils restores moisture and protect strands.
So are you ready to take the plunge? There is a short style that will suit every face shape, so there isn’t a thing to hold you back. It’s time.